Monday, February 28, 2011

Forensic Accounting Methodology

Today the Master in Forensic Accounting & Financial Criminology students made their in-class oral presentations on topics related to data analysis tools to detect fraudulant financial transactions. Among the tools discussed include the use of the following: Beneish Model, Benford Law, Direct/Indirect Method, Z-Scores, Networth Analysis, Data Mining, Social Network Analysis, Control Account Analysis, the use of Fraud Risk Indicators and Financial Statement Analysis. Basically, in their presentation, the students had to apply their chosen tool or techniques to a specific financial fraud case and use their analysis to detect and investigate financial statement fraud. Congratulations all for jobs well done...Actually there's a lot of available tools out there. Some are basic tools which involve thorough understanding of the accounting principles whilst others are in the form of sophisticated software. Forensic accountants and financial fraud investigators must equipped themselves with new knowledge and competencies. An effective financial fraud investigator must possess at the very least, the following skills and competencies: knowledge in law, auditing, accounting, Information technology, psychology, analytical skill, statistical knowledge and people skill.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Higher Research Weightage

One of the most exciting things being mentioned by the Deputy Vice Chancellor during his deliberation at the Academic Conference today was the review of teaching hours being assigned to researchers at centres of excellence. Effective immediately, research hours for research fellows will now account for 80% and the remaining 20% is teaching or supervision hours. This is certainly great news for researchers at ARI. We can now plan for bigger things and produce more results....

Monday, February 7, 2011

Welcome Prof Susumo Ueno

ARI wishes to welcome Prof Susumo Ueno, our visiting professor from Konan University, Japan who is on a one week visit to UiTM. Professor Ueno is a well-known professor in management accounting. He is also the President of the Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Association (APMAA) which is based in Japan. Whilst visiting the university, Prof Ueno has a relatively tight schedule. Various events such as research discussion on a recent international research collaboration involving seven Asian universities; discussions with CIMA; visit to the site of APMAA's forthcoming conference in Kuala Lumpur; PhD students progress presentation; research consultation for post-graduate students & researchers and professorial talk on Japanese management accounting.
As the Chief Editor of the Asia-Pacific Management Accounting Journal (APMAJ) which is hosted by UiTM, Professor Ueno held several meetings with managing editors and journal administrators of the journal...

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

COEs As Responsibility Centres

The university has recently announced the establishment of six centres of excellence as Responsibility Centres. The six CoEs are namely the Accounting Research Institute (National HICoE), Malaysian Institute of Transport (MITRANS), Institute of Science (IOS), Research Institute of Natural Remedies (IKUS), IIESM and the Institute of Forensic Sciences. With the announcement, the university will facilitate the CoEs by providing them with tier-based budget and support staff. The CoE's fellowship program will also be further improved.